Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
Special Topics in Applied Physics II (SCPY662)
Instructor : Chaiwoot Boonyasiriwat (firstname.lastname@example.org) Class Hours : Thursday (1:30PM - 4:30PM) Class Room : Conference Room Grading : Homework 90%, Class Participation 10%
Tentative Course Schedule
Lecture Date Topics Assignments 1 Jan 12, 2017 Introduction to CFD, governing equations, mathematical behaviors of PDEs, numerical integration of ODEs, simulation of flows governed by ODEs Read Chapters 2-3 of Anderson (1995) and Chapter 1 of Beringen and Chow (2011)
2 Jan 19, 2017 Simulation of incompressible inviscid flows using splitting, semi-Lagrangian, and projection methods Read Chapters 1-4 of Bridson (2008) and Seibold (2008) (code) 3 Jan 26, 2017 Simulation of incompressible inviscid flows (continued) 4 Feb 2, 2017 Simulation of incompressible inviscid flows (continued) 5 Feb 9, 2017 Simulation of incompressible viscous flows Read Chapter 3 of Beringen and Chow (2011) 6 Feb 16, 2017 Simulation of incompressible viscous flows (continued) Read Chapter 4 of Beringen and Chow (2011) 7 Feb 23, 2017 Simulation of incompressible viscous flows (continued) Read Chapter 6 of Anderson (1995) 8 Mar 2, 2017 Marker-and-cell (MAC) and particle-in-cell (PIC) methods Read Chapters 1-5 of Osher and Fedkiw (2003) 9 Mar 9, 2017 Upwind schemes and total variation dimishing (TVD) methods Read Chapters 1-5 of Osher and Fedkiw (2003) 10 Mar 16, 2017 Upwind schemes and total variation dimishing (TVD) methods (continued) 11 Mar 23, 2017 Level set methods Read Chapter 6 of Bridson (2008) and Chapters 1-5 of Osher and Fedkiw (2003) 12 Mar 30, 2017 Structured grid generation methods Read Chapters 4-5 of Farrashkhalvat and Miles (2003) 13 Apr 6, 2017 Unstructured grid generation methods Read Chapter 8 of Farrashkhalvat and Miles (2003) 14 Apr 13, 2017 Lattice Boltzmann method Read Chapter 1 of Succi (2001) and Chirila (2010) 15 Apr 20, 2017 Smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH)
- Anderson, J. D. Jr. 1995, Computational Fluid Dynamics: The basics with applications, McGraw-Hill, Singapore.
- Cengel, Y. A., and J. M. Cimbala, 2014, Fluid Mechanics: Fundamentals and Applications, McGraw-Hill.
- Kundu, P.K., and I.M. Cohen, 2008, Fluid Mechanics, Academic Press.
- Farrashkhalvat, M., and J. P. Miles, 2003, Basic Structured Grid Generation with An Introduction to Unstructured Grid Generation, Butterworth-Heinemann. (Companion website)
- Beringen, S., and C.Y. Chow, 2011, An Introduction to Computational Fluid Mechanics by Example, John Wiley and Sons. (Companion website)
- Bridson, R., 2008, Fluid Simulation for Computer Graphics, A K Peters.
- Trefethen, L. N., 2000, Spectral Methods in MATLAB, SIAM.
- Hughes, T. J. R., 2000, The Finite Element Method: Linear Static and Dynamic Finite Element Analysis, Dover.
- Strang, G., 2007, Computational Science and Engineering, Wellesley-Cambridge Press. (Companion website)
- Kampf, J., 2009, Ocean Modelling for Beginners: Using Open-Source Software, Springer.
- Osher, S., and R. Fedkiw, 2003, Level Set Methods and Dynamic Implicit Surfaces, Springer.
- Woolfson, M. M., and G. J. Pert, 1999, An Introduction to Computer Simulation, Oxford University Press.
- Succi, S., 2001, The Lattice Boltzmann Equation for Fluid Dynamics and Beyond, Oxford University Press.
- Chirila, D. B., 2010, Introduction to lattice Boltzmann methods, Technical Report.
- Liu, G. R., and M. B. Liu, 2003, Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics: A Meshfree Particle Method, World Scientific Publishing.
- Analytic grid generation MATLAB codes
- Fortran codes from Farrashkhalvat and Miles (2003)
- MATLAB codes from Beringen and Chow (2011)
- Flow around cylinder MATLAB code
- Potential flow MATLAB code
- NASA FoilSim: Download, Incorrect lift theory, Aerodynamic forces on airfoil
- MATLAB codes for CFD
- MATLAB codes for various topics
- ME322 MATLAB Tools
- NASA Software Catalog
- SPH codes
- Fluids v.3 -- SPH code
- SPH projects and codes
- Particle-in-cell MATLAB code
- Numerical modeling of earth systems
- Smoke simulation
- Fire simulation
- E4301: Numerical Methods for PDEs
Resources about Lattice Boltzmann method
- 2D and 3D LBM Matlab codes
- LBM MATLAB code for 2D porous system
- Basic LBM MATLAB code
- LBM MATLAB code for immiscible two-phase flow
- Open source LBM code
- Introduction to LBM
- Palabos: open-source CFD solver based on LBM
- LBM code from NDSU
- MPLABS: Multiphase LBM
- LBM D3Q19
- Manuel Diaz
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Meshfree methods
- Smoothed particle hydrodynamics
- Material point method
- Lattice Boltzmann methods